Friday 13 January 2012

Promotional Poster



For the band poster we had to create I decided to design mine around promoting our band’s album on a tour. For the development of this poster I decided to use the existing forms and conventions of music marketing, similar to when I designed the album artwork.
When designing a band poster there are a few elements to pay attention to such as; the images used to promote the band- perhaps the band themselves or their band logo (stereotypically one or the other is always used as a form of synergy so that fans will notice custom logos for example and relate them to the band). The colour scheme is also important- normally similar to the colour theme used for the album artwork, along with the font used.
Whilst I was designing my poster I thought that I would include typical codes and conventions that you would find on many rock music posters. For one I placed the bands logo in the center as a symbol of recognition. I also used an image of the band performing which is another convention that is commonly used on rock posters. I kept the text the same as the album artwork for continuity so fans can relate one music marketing tool to the other, and I established the ‘Burn Out’ tour along with dates and locations in order to make the poster look as professional as I could.
Before I began designing my own music poster I looked at a few other legitimate posters so that I could get an idea of what exactly to include. I noticed that most band tour posters all entailed the same codes and conventions, hence why I conformed to that design and produced my own poster in a similar way. For example here is a poster for the band ‘Pendulum’ which has been designed in a similar way to my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment