Sunday 11 September 2011

Preliminary Task



For our preliminary task our group filmed 'Jane Doe' which is a 6 member band that I thought belonged in the genre of a slightly jazz/folk sound but in a more modern era. Their style resembled an alternative vintage look. The main singer in particular dressed with a sort of 30's pin up look that complimented the style of music.

As a band they reminded me of some other artists/bands that I thought were similar. The first being Amy Winehouse.


I think that both her appearance and style of music were similar to that of 'Jane Doe's'. One of the techniques that they have used in this video was that concerning the set. I enjoyed the fact that the setting was simple, with only a few props, so that the video mainly focused on lighting and close ups of the artist.
Originally before starting to think about my own music video I knew that I didn't want to build my own set because I think that it would look tacky if it isn't done properly. The only exception to using a set is similar to what was used in this video. Keeping it either plain black or white, so that the video looks more sophisticated.


Another music video that I thought was similar was 'Aint No Other Man' by Christina Aguilera. Before we started shooting the preliminary task we were told to look at similar music videos, this being one that we looked at. I think that in this video style is a main attribution, again looking at the iconic pin up look.
Unlike Amy Winehouse's video this one is far busier, with it's main focus points probably concerning the dance routines, costume and setting even though the song was very popular in itself. I was interested in the dancing technique to bring more interest to the video, and I thought that trying to recreate something alike in my own music video wouldn't be impossible to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment